Tuesday 17 December 2013

Living in the Winter Capital of Niigata

By: Joyce Ogasawara

I live in the winter capital of Niigata.
Here in Tokamachi, we collect ridiculous amounts of snow every year. I say it's ridiculous, but the people who live here call it normal and I'm pretty sure that they are quite proud of it.  All this snow creates a very unique living experience for people like me.

I'm from California.
Famous for its sunny weather, warm beaches, and comfortable temperatures, many people living in California don’t know anything about snow. Many Californians have never seen snow. Many Californians have never thought about snow. Many Californians wouldn't know how hard it is to shovel snow off the driveway, or how fun it is to make an igloo.

"A silvery world with half a year of snow."
These are the words of my base school's moto. I couldn't believe the words when I first saw them. It was late August, and I was showering in my own sweat while sitting in the stuffy school gym. It made no sense at all. It didn't hit me until the snow started in early December. It started, it stayed, and it continued to snow through January, February and even all of March. I was brave enough to look outside my bedroom window on April 1st, and lo and behold, it's still snowing. While most schools in Japan have students take their nyugaku-shiki (entrance ceremony) pictures under a cherry blossom tree in full bloom, the students at my schools took their pictures indoors because there was a blizzard outside. And in case you were wondering: yes, cherry blossoms exist in Tokamachi. The trees look beautiful around early May. And they look extra beautiful with the big patch of snow right next to them.

April 30th in Mastunoyama, Tokamachi

So much snow!
What do people do when their city is buried in snow for half the year? The answer is rather simple. They aren't bears; they don't just sit inside and wait for the snow to melt. They get creative and set up all sorts of events to enjoy in the snow. A few examples:
  • New Year’s marathon: where people run in the snow
  • Tokamachi snow festival: where Japan’s snow sculptures and festivities started
  • Nakasato snow festival: with thousands and thousands of candles in the snow
  • Matsudai Fuyu-no-Jin: where people race to the top of the local castle in the snow

So how would a Californian like me cope in Tokamachi?
Just like everyone else. As winter approaches, my body requests that I eat more. I enjoy winter foods like mikan, nabe and hot nihonshu. Ramen becomes a must, and the local onsen becomes my bathhouse. I learn the proper way to wear layers of clothing. I start to carry an extra pair of socks just in case my first pair got soaked during the 30-second walk from my car to the front door. I check out all the crazy-sounding, outdoor events. And best of all, I tackle the local slopes. I'm not saying that you can't survive in this area if you don't take up skiing or snowboarding. But I highly suggest that you try it.

February 16th, 2013: Main stage concert at the snow festival with guest singer Inagaki Junichi

It doesn't matter what time of the year it is.
In Japan, people will create an appropriate event to enjoy each of nature's phenomena.

Welcome to Tokamachi.
Dress appropriately when you visit and enjoy all the snow.

--

What are your tricks for surviving the winter? Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment